George Lawrence Co. Harness & Saddlery
The George Lawrence Company, established in 1857 at 1st & Oak Streets in Portland, Oregon, was a saddlery and harness shop made famous by also producing exquisite leather goods such as handgun holsters, cartridge belts, slings, scabbards, etc. At one time the George Lawrence Co. was the largest saddle and harness maker on the west coast. The quality of their leatherwork was renown.
In 2009 the last surviving family member actively engaged in the leather trade, William “Bill” Lawrence, bequeathed a collection of family and company memorabilia, equipment and saddles to the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center & Museum.
This exhibit features tools used in the leather trade, catalogs, and a trio of finely crafted saddles. In addition a video features an interview with Bill Lawrence. The video was produced by John Hardham for display in conjunction with the exhibit of the collection.