Exhibits & Programs
The Columbia Gorge Discovery Center & Museum offers both permanent museum exhibits as well as short-term special exhibits. Our permanent museum exhibits parallel our mission of inspiring appreciation and stewardship of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area and Wasco County through collection, preservation and interpretation of cultural and natural history resources. Cultivated from the input of our community, supporters, staff, and visitors, the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center and Museum offers a variety of exhibits throughout the year.
• Ice Age
• Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
• Renewable Energy & Stewardship
• Native American Culture & Basketry
• Lewis & Clark Cargo
• Early Explorers & Oregon Trail
• Celilo Falls & the Dams of the Columbia River
• Historic Columbia River Highway & Early Transportation
• Wasco County Past & Present
• Geo. Lawrence Co. Harness & Saddlery
ADDITIONAL PROGRAMS & RESOURCES
• Live Raptor Program
• William G. Dick Research Library
• Nature Walk & Native Plant Restoration
• 54-acres with hiking & biking on the paved Riverfront Trail
• Kids Explorer Room
• Online Educational Resources
• M.J. Murdock Theater
Columbia Gorge Discovery Center & Museum regularly coordinates with other museums to bring traveling exhibits to our visitors.
Our newest exhibit is Deliver in Haste. Transporting the Mail from, to and through The Dalles, 1830 -1890’s.
We’ve hosted several traveling exhibits over the past few years, including the Smithsonian’s “Bittersweet Harvest: The Bracero Program 1942-1964”; Oregon Historical Society’s “What if Heroes Were Not Welcome Home: The Nisei American Soldiers of WWII”; Oregon Museum of Science & Industry’s “Brain Games”; and “Sasquatch Revealed,” curated by Christopher Murphy for Yale Historical Site in British Columbia.
Have a great idea for a future exhibit? We would love to hear from you! Send an email to email@example.com.